Thursday, March 13, 2008

More Like a 90s Fashion


Ahhh, the 90s, my formative years.

We are incessantly bombarded with cultural nostalgia. Looking at my fossil watch (90s reference #1) the hour is nigh for America's continuing obsession with all things retrospective to exploitatively revisit this bygone era. And by "bygone" I mean a whole 9 years ago. I imagine the the formidable VH1 has already addressed this subject in depth. I don't have cable, so indulge me, okay?

Since the 80s definitely hold more memory of all things fabulously campy, the 90s were, self-consciously defined as a departure from the excess of the 80s. Well, maybe not completely. But the transition was evident.

Having grilled a few clients today, here are some of the most deliciously sinful 90s indulgences.


  • slip dresses over white t-shirts - I believe Jennifer Aniston had a fondness for this look, I know I was a frequent offender.
  • Ms. Aniston's infamous "Rachel" -I rocked that mess on my passport photo, half of the haircut I did myself.
  • overalls- the epitome of dreadful
  • vibrantly colored denim
  • Cross Colors
  • British Knights and LA Gear
  • silk shirts and vests
  • long flowy floral skirts and Dr. Maarten's
  • baby doll dresses
  • chokers
  • over-tweezed, pencil thin eyebrows
  • essentially anything that could have been part of Courtney Love's beloved "kinderwhore" look - I am not sure I am fully over this look yet, sadly.

Sigh. Some things are hard to quit.

No comments: